This addition for the Geeklog blog software is created to show links and a brief description to interesting pages elsewhere on the 'Net.
This addition has been built for a moderately customised and partially updated 1.3.8 base.
There are three major components of this plugin.
- Being the fronts page display of the first 10 or so links. This is wholly new code.
- The summary page(s) which show all links ever entered into the system. This is a major re-write of the existing links.php codebase.
- The admin link editor. This has had only relatively trivial changes to the base code.
The addition co-opts the existing "links" functionality. A pre-configured category ($_CONF['block_links_category']) will be used as the link category from which links will be taken and display from the database.
Results are displayed in a date sorted order. Most recently added/modified items will be first.
Note! Modified items will be resent to the top of the list!
The source code tar ball for GL NewsPicks can be retreived from here: GLNP.1-0.tgz.
There have been a number of requests for modifications to this addition since it went live:
- Pull the output into an RSS feed. Due to the nature of the site this is used on, this would need to be a separate feed.
- Combine the output into an existing story/article "summary" static page.
- On the admin side, a checkbox style modification to the edit screen will be added to be able to edit a link in-situ without updating the date. Necessary in this installation as links are sorted by date. Thus a human editor can make the call as to whether the date should be altered or not.
For those who are keen to see GL NewsPicks in action, you can see it live at the GrokLaw web site.